Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

UNKLE: The New Album, Where Did The Night Fall



Not that I can make an informed opinion after one listen on the train but the new album from UNKLE is sounding like it is going to be one of my favorite records of the year, so far. Changing directions a bit, DJ James Lavelle, one of the original members, along with Pablo Clements, have moved away from the original sound of Trip-Hop and into a more conventional sounding Trip-Rock or Psych-Rock as I have heard it called. I would describe it simply as good music. Originally UNKLE was a DJ duo that colaborated with various artists like Thom Yorke, Josh Homme, Massive Attack, The Beastie Boys and more, mixing traditional Hip-Hop beats, Electronic Grooves and Rock Guitars. For this fourth effort UNKLE move toward what I would say is a total record experience and not an album with a few stand out tracks. If you are a fan of UNKLE this is not their first album, Psyence Fiction, and is a further departure from that record, but don't be disappointed because it is good. Really good. What I enjoy most, so far, is the tone and the consistent feel throughout. Like I said there is no stand-out track that I can point to however there are definitely a few high points. What's really cool is the double CD with an entire instrumental version of the record. This is a nice added bonus and I only paid $12 bucks for it (On iTunes, much to my chagrin). Overall this is a great record that I plan to listen to often no matter what some of the critics have said. Honestly I don't know why I read them sometimes, they can be so negative. UNKLE is another band that can be used for the great first album debate/syndrome. Psyence Fiction was certainly amazing and had the advantage of being co-created by DJ Shadow, a giant of the DJ realm, who unfortunately left the band shortly thereafter. In one review I read at Consequence of Sound.net, the guy kept referring to their first album like it was their last, I mean this is the fourth friggin' album, get over it already. Continually harping on how fantastic that record was saying that nothing since then has lived up to the hype. I mean who is he speaking for? Himself of course. Just like I am speaking for myself and that is our right. Just remember the most important critic you should listen to is yourself, enjoy the music you love. Below is a list of the earlier works from UNKLE...



1.Psyence Fiction
2. Never, Never, Land
3. War Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment