Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Sunday, May 23, 2010

Essentials: 20th Anniversary of Nirvana's Bleach


Like most people I didn't discover Nirvana until after the Teen Spirit video went on heavy rotation at MTV...when MTV actually played videos, but that's a broken record. Anyway after playing Nevermind to death I was happy to find a used copy of Nirvana's first album, Bleach, at Sounds on St. Marks for only five bucks and trudged home to blast it as loud as I could in my apartment. What I liked about it was that it was raw and harder than Nevermind but still had that distinct sound I was looking for. This of course was before Dave Grohl had joined the band and before the term grunge had been thrown around. This album includes the massively likable tune About A Girl which came to fame in their Unplugged visit to MTV, again back when MTV was cool. I just can't believe it's been 20 years. Thankfully this record still sounds as fresh as it did when I was a starving art student sitting in my apartment all those years ago. In case you were wondering essential means you must own it, so go get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment