Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Saturday, May 29, 2010

Do We Buy M.I.A.'s Political Agenda Or Just Her Records?



I just finished reading a great article in the Sunday Times Magazine about M.I.A.(I get home delivery so I get it a day early) which you can read by clicking the link above. Prior to reading the article I had only heard minor bits and pieces about M.I.A. and her upbringing besides being bombarded by the overplayed Paper Planes. A good song nonetheless, especially with it's Clash sample and it's very distinct gun shots, it stands out from a lot of other music being made today. The other aspect of her music that is very intruiging is it's political references in regards to her homeland of Sri Lanka. I think what's most interesting to me after reading the article is the question of where she fits in, is she a musician, is she an activist or both? At this point she may not be exactly sure and honestly there is nothing wrong with that as she focuses more on her creative abilities and selling records to promote her message. In music there is never anything wrong with a little self promotion as long as the music is good.

M.I.A.'s new record drops July 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment