Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Friday, October 22, 2010

Kings Of Leon's Come Around Sundown

Being a huge fan of Kings Of Leon that I am, I was waiting with great anticipation for this new record. Of course I was also a bit nervous about it being their first release since the massive success of their last record and wondered if that would affect the music. Some bands, or I should say record labels, want bands like Kings to duplicate the previous output, a tradition in the record business that goes all the way back to the 50's. Repeat. Re-use. Copy. Dull. Those are words that I would use to describe that tradition and just might be one of the reasons the industry has gone through so much turmoil in recent years. Well I am here to say that Kings Of Leon have not fallen into that trap and have released a fine follow-up that in no way tries to replicate their previous effort. Well let me not get ahead of myself, I'll explain. For fans of Kings like me, who have been with them since their first record, this album is a complete departure, but not in a bad way. It is certainly a continuation of their progression, which I believe is what great bands do, leading me to believe that they are here to stay. That said, back to the album. Come Around Sundown is a much more downbeat album for the Kings which was anticipated because of what the band had said in interviews prior to its release. Now I don't know if it's me or what but most of the stuff that I am listening to lately is of the same nature. Melancholy, slow, moody, whatever you want to call it, it's what I have been feeling musically these days. So I guess this album has come at the perfect time. It's always amazing to me how a band can capture the times, as they say, with a piece of work that speaks to a particular moment in time or to me for that matter. It is all about me afterall...just kidding. Seriously though, this album is worth the purchase whether you are a huge fan or not, so go get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment