Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Saturday, June 12, 2010

Greatest Song Ever....No I Really Mean It!

I have to be honest with you...I am not really this cool. I actually don't know everything there is to know about music and often find that I am way behind the curve on a lot of really great bands. Such is the case with Steely Dan. Now of course I have always known Steely Dan's music since it's been playing on the radio since I was like 1, but I don't think I ever gave it any respect. I always bunched it in with 70's music that sounded good but was never worth buying. Back in 2000 I was watching the Grammy's, like I usually do, and was completely shocked when Steely Dan, which I didn't even know was still making music, beat out Eminem for Album of the Year. What a crock I thought, just another sentimental award for a band that catered to the baby boomer generation. At the time I felt I was right (just like in 98 when they gave the award to Dylan) as it seemed that they were giving out an award for lifetime achievement instead of for best Album. It wasn't until last year while watching a documentary on HBO about the Oakland Athletics of the early 70's (it's a baseball team) where I started to have a change of heart towards Steely Dan. At the end of the doc, during the credits, they played a song I hadn't heard in a really long time, but I didn't know who it was. A little insight into me...when I hear a song that I like and I don't know who it is, I will not stop searching until I find out and own it. The song was 'Dirty Work' off of Steely Dan's very first album, Can't Buy A Thrill, from all the way back in 1972. Thanks to iTunes I was able to buy the song and now I basically put it in every mix I ever make. Whether you agree with me or not, this is the Greatest Song Of All Time, period! Sorry to Prince and 'When Doves Cry', Led Zeppelin and 'Stairway To Heaven', Nirvana and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', The Beatles and 'Yesterday', Guns N' Roses and 'November Rain' and Marvin Gaye's Mercy, Mercy, Me (ok this was an extremely close second). I am sure everyone has an opinion, but this is mine. Just this week while looking for the new Hot Hot Heat record at Best Buy I noticed that they had a copy of 'Can't Buy A Thrill' and it was only $7.99. So I scooped it up and ran to the cashier. What a purchase! It is one good freakin' album. The other standouts on the record are 'Do It Again' and 'Reelin' In The Years', but honestly the whole thing stands out and I am damn glad for purchasing the album and not just sitting on the one song. Let me repeat myself, 'Dirty Work' is the best song ever and I dare anyone to tell me different. Actually I would love for everyone to tell me different. If you feel up to it, let me know your thoughts on what you think is the best song of all time, but only after you download and listen to 'Dirty Work' in it's entireity!

No comments:

Post a Comment