Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Days Of Re-Discovering An Old Album Are Slowly Dwindling


The other night I was looking at videos on YouTube (the only place you can really see videos anymore), when I came across a song that I had not heard in awhile. It was a Nine Inch Nails Song called Burn and it is one of my all time favorites. Immediately I ran to the room where I keep all of my cd's (collecting dust of course) and began to search for all the NIN that I had. To make a long story short the song Burn was on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, a film by Oliver Stone about a pair of serial killers starring Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis (if you haven't seen it, it's certainly worth one watch, but not more than that), and also happened to be a cd that I owned. However after spending a good twenty minutes it was nowhere to be found. Disappointed that it had seemingly been misplaced I turned my attention to a disc that I had ignored for sometime. Stuck in between Pearl Jam's first album Ten and Public Enemy's Fear Of A Black Planet was a Super Furry Animals cd called Phantom Power, an album from the early 2000's that I consider to be their best. I pulled it out and immediately opened it up and popped it into my laptop for a listen. What memories. At some point a few years back I had upgraded my iPod from the original model to a much beefier 60 gig because I just needed it. The SFA album had been previously on my older iPod but in the transition I had not transferred it over to my new one. I thought new technology was supposed to make things easier? Anyway after listening to the album back and forth to work today I realized just how much I missed these songs and that if I didn't own the cd I may have never come across this record ever again. I just think it is too darn easy to skim your music collection on your computer without any emotional connection. When I pulled out that cd I remembered exactly when and where I bought it. When and where I used to listen to it as well as the guy who I used to work with that introduced me to Super Furry Animals back in 2002. Now I am not saying that these feelings aren't possible anymore if we all completely move to the more convenient digital format, I am just saying that the emotions associated with our music are being altered forever and we have all lost something in the transition. That sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment