Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Saturday, July 10, 2010

Black Keys Comment On LeBron James Departure From Ohio Rings Hollow

I have to admit I haven't been working on my two blogs over the past week too much because I was fully entrenched in the LeBron James sweepstakes. Yes I hoped he was going to come to NY and play for the Knicks because you know who wouldn't? Well apparently he didn't. Instead he chose to leave Cleveland, which is 40 minutes from Akron his hometown, and move down to Miami to play for the Heat. At first I was a little burnt about it because I am selfish and wanted him to come here, but the more I think about it I am changing my mind on one part of it. I still think he would have had the best chance to really stake his claim as one of the best basketball players and blah, blah, blah...this is a music blog, so why am I writing about this? Well I just read a piece in the Wall Street Journal that was written by Patrick Carney of the band Black Keys, who also happen to be from Akron, Ohio. In the article, in which he writes in a creepy 3rd person, he sort of compares himself to LeBron which first off is ridiculous. He states that Akron was a hard place to grow up and that eventually he had to move to NYC to further his career. Hmmm...that actually sounds similar to LeBron. What's troubling to me is he goes on to say that the difference between the band and LeBron is that the band will always be a band from Akron and will always go back and play shows and that LeBron leaving will only make the Ferrari dealerships in Miami salivate. This is where he loses me. Won't LeBron always be from Akron? Won't he always consider it home too? He will come to Cleveland to play games there...so I don't see his point. It's ok for the Black Keys to leave Akron to better themselves but it's not ok for LeBron? I don't recall Kobe Bryant being from Los Angeles...he's from Philly. Kareem Abdul Jabbar played High School ball in Manhattan, went to college at UCLA, was drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks and then ended his career with the Lakers. Does that mean he forgets where he was from? Of course the way in which LeBron went about leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers is highly questionable, the live television spectacle has made matters worse for him and his image has taken a huge blow. In todays society it's all too easy to criticize someone else for what they do or don't do. Whether it be on Twitter, blogging or just commenting online, we have all become a bunch of hypocrites who should think a bit more before judging.

No comments:

Post a Comment