Please Check Out My Other Blog At:
www.steveeatsnyc.blogspot.com

WELCOME TO SMB

....where you will find interesting opinions and information on the music we love. Whether it be new and emerging artists, classic bands, shows, magazines, televison or just what we are listening to, always check in to find out what's going on in our musical world.



Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hey MC Hammer, You Can't Touch That!

Oh the Rap game it ain't a changin'. For those of you who don't know there once was this rapper named MC Hammer who wore large gypsy pants and had a hit song that sampled Rick James' 'Super Freak.' Basically that's it because the man fell, fell all the way down the rabbit hole and hasn't returned, at least to my knowledge. VH1's Behind The Music chronicled the life of excess, the giagantic entourage and the descent into bankruptcy. He then found religion, maybe even became a preacher (don't most washed up musicians do that?), and even starred on Celebrity Rehab alongside Mini-Me (not really sure if that's true) and to this day nobody buys his music anymore. Sad. So, surprisingly, here comes none other than Jay-Z to rub salt in the wounds I guess. Guesting on Kanye West's new song 'So Appalled' Jay references Hammer with..."Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused/I lost 30 Mil' so I spent another 30/Cause unlike Hammer 30 Million can't hurt me.' Harsh indeed...seemingly. Well Hammer or I should say King Hammer, as he likes to call himself now, was very upset and decided to write a song about it called 'Better Run Run' in which he refers to Jay as making a deal with the devil for his girl and his career. He also made a video which is now posted on YouTube (because no one else can do that) that shows a look-a-like Jay-Z running away from the devil and at the end good ole' Hammer saves the day and baptizes Jay-Z! Wow. Apparently Jay-Z got wind of Hammer's beef and responded this way..."I didn't know Hammer's financial problems were off the table for discussion." Meaning I guess it's ok to air out your dirty laundry on VH1 and be on a reality series but no one can say anything about it. In the Hammer-is-gonna-want-to-put-his-foot-in-his-mouth department, Jay-Z went on to say..."I say some great things about him in the book coming out, that wasn't a cheap plug," he laughed. "He's gonna be embarrassed, I said some really great things about him and people's perception of him." Hey Hammer I got an idea, didn't you used to be a bat boy for the Oakland Athletics back in the 70's? Maybe you could get your old job back, I think you would be better at that...at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment